Senior Companions are volunteers age 55 and older who assist frail and home-bound seniors with light housekeeping and meal preparation, escort them to medical appointments, provide companionship, and offer respite to caregivers. We are currently seeking additional Senior Companions!
Know someone who needs us?Click Here
"Prior to receiving your services, we were juggling our schedules as best we could to ensure that our mother was cared for properly. Knowing that the Senior Companion is with our mother has been a great relief to us."
Daughter of Senior Companions program recipient
Senior Companions provide a vital human connection that helps prevent loneliness and isolation among the elderly. The program also enhances the quality of life of our senior volunteers by keeping them active and engaged in their community.
- The program provides a way for volunteers age 55 and older to stay active by serving frail and home-bound seniors. Studies have shown that when seniors stay active, they feel a greater sense of purpose and live longer.
- Senior Companions is a program of the Corporation for National and Community Service. Seniors who fall within income guidelines can receive a tax-free stipend for the hours worked (15-40 hours per week) and mileage reimbursement.
- For the fiscal year ending June 30, 2017, there were 63 Senior Companions who provided more than 37,000 hours of service to 80 clients, including socialization, light household chores, meal preparation, medication monitoring, and appointment escort. These services provided respite for caregivers and allowed the seniors to maintain their independence.
- A recent year-end survey showed that 83% of the clients served were able to remain in their own homes, and 75% are eating regular meals, due to the services provided by their Senior Companions.
- A recent year-end survey showed that 81% of caregivers reported that they felt they were making a positive impact in the lives of the clients they served.
For more information, contact Senior Companion Program Coordinator Sonya Johnson at 803.252.7734 ext. 245 or firstname.lastname@example.org.